Sunday, April 13, 2008

Grimsby

According to Wikipedia, Grimsby (or archaically Great Grimsby) is a seaport on the Humber Estuary in Lincolnshire, England. Bernie Taupin, who lived in nearby Humberston and Tealby near Market Rasen, would have of course been familiar with and spent time in this town, and for some reason decided to write this tune as a tribute to the everyday pleasures that the community offered.

It does have a tongue-in-cheek, slightly bemused feel to it, and it's good to see that Taupin could be as nostalgic about his background as he was the American Old West. As we all know by now, Bernie could be very snide lyrically when he chose to be- and really, I don't get that here. As verses like this bear out:

Take me back you rustic town
I miss your magic charm
Just to smell your candy floss
Or drink in the Skinners Arms
No Cordon Bleu can match the beauty
Of your pies and peas
I want to ride your fairground
Take air along the quay


The main reason this travelogue works as well as it does is the bopping musical arrangement that Elton gives it, with a wonderfully dipsy-doodle guitar riff, punctuated by a little whammy-bar action, by Davey Johnstone and those ubiquitous Classic Elton Band harmony vocals echoing several lines in the verses and chorus.


Lyrics/sample

2 comments:

Lars said...

I enjoyed grimsby as the first tune played on local (pre-format?) radio as caribou came out/ the melody and studio sounds they developed were very catchy. took me a while to realixe they were doing some reverse tape trickery with the intro and close. i stopped by in the wake of Bernie winning his first academy award. looks kinda quiet on the solar prestige front, tho. glad this is still up and navigable. thanks.

Johnny Bacardi said...

Thanks, unknown. It's quiet, I guess, by design, because the blog was always going to have a stopping place... I didn't have any interest in going beyond the single "Ego", although I will say that there have been a handful of songs on his subsequent albums that I liked quite a bit. I considered doing them too, but so far haven't mustered the enthusiasm to do so. Also, one great album for me anyway was 1984's BREAKING HEARTS.

Thanks for checking it out and commenting!